I’m not now, and have never been a Record Snob. I don’t care how the music comes to me, I just want to hear it. That’s one of the reasons that I actually dislike Record Store Day and some of the artists who seem to sit back and giggle with glee as they make record fans (not necessarily music fans, mind you) dance for their amusement. I’m thinking of Jack White specifically here. He’s basically said that music fans only deserve to listen to certain pieces if they can pony up the dough, and they will pay what the market will bear. Needless to say, I didn’t feel particularly motivated to pick up the White Stripes offerings, and wouldn’t have even if they had still been available.
Many of the first people in line at Criminal Records last night and this morning were likely going to be putting their purchases online shortly after they return home. That bugs me, sure, but not as much as knowing that some artists really seem to enjoy taking advantage of their fans.
I picked up a bunch of things, and I could have carried on down my list with decent success rate. I could have picked up Bad Brains, Syd Barrett, Flaming Lips, etc, but they’re all reissues of readily available songs. Not remixes, not bonus tracks… Not worth it, so they weren’t on the list at all. Had I got further down my list before hitting my budget, I might have picked up the John Doe, Grinderman’s EVIL EP, Regina Spektor, Beach Boys, one of the compilations from Kill Rock Stars or Save The Music, or maybe Peter Tosh to fit in with all the people prepping for 4/20… Funny. 4/16 for records, then 4/20 for pot. Must be a coincidence.
- Metric’s ‘Poster of a Girl’ 45″
- SUB POP’s ‘Terminal Sales Volume 4’ Compilation
Stuff I bought, a bit surprised some of it was still there
- Daft Punk – Tron Soundtrack – 10″ (Red variant)
- Green Day/Husker Du – I Don’t Want To Know If You Are Lonely – 7″ (3790)
- RHCP/Ramones – Havana Affair – 7″ (3585)
- Nirvana – Hormoaning – 12″ (4000)
- Sonic Youth – Whore’s Moaning – 12″ (4000)
- Various Artists – Mute Vorwärts – LP+CD (1000)
- Various Artists – Franz Ferdinand Covers EP – 12″ (500)
- Fucked Up – TownComp – Matador – LP (2000)
Stuff I missed out on
- OFF! – Live At Generation Records – 7″ (2000)
- Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi – Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi Present ROME starring Jack White & Norah Jones – 7″
- Various Artists – Guided By Voices Tribute: Sing For Your Meat – Double 12″ (500)
With the items I missed, they’re in such limited stock, where they are available through other means, I might get them later – I know that I saw at least one of the “exclusive” singles on Emusic (it’s also on iTunes) this past week; Almost Deerhoof, Almost Xiu Xiu, and the $1 it runs on Emusic is a pretty fair price in my books.
Non-exclusives I’m going to watch for as MP3
- Various Artists – Follow Me Down: Vanguard’s Lost Psychedelic Era – Vanguard
- Anything from WILD FLAG, who don’t seem to have released anything other than the one 7″ of ‘Future Crimes / Glass Tambourine’
I’m sure there are other things I’m going to watch for, but I’m going to work on ripping MP3s for Fucked Up and maybe the Sonic Youth and Nirvana tonight.